I was first introduced to the idea of a writer’s notebook by my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Catamaro. I loved that notebook! My notebook helped me see who I was as a writer, and focus on the writer I wanted to become. It met my needs as a learner the way nothing before had. I was impulsive and unfocused, and in my writer’s notebook my ideas and Mrs. Catamaro’s feedback would wait for me. I could read and reread. I could process what I wanted, when I was ready. I’ve used the writer’s notebook with my own students and hope I provided them with opportunity to navigate their learning that Mrs. Catamaro did for me.
My Blogging Territories (Like in A Writer’s Notebook, these are ideas I want to remember so I can write about them later)
Common Frustrations & Pitfalls of New Teachers
- Curriculum- Where is it? How can I write it? I haven’t even learned their names yet!
- “I don’t want to be mean…” Let’s explore consistency and inconsistency. How can we lower students’ anxiety? Which teacher actions actually model respect?
- Feedback, grading & that gigantic pile!!
- Top Ten myths to dispel around Home/ School Communication: No news is good news, right? In high school, parents are just more hands off… they want it that way…
Educational Issues that keep me up at night
- Meaningful Reporting Systems: A,B,C,D,F… but what about E? Why do we report? To whom are we reporting? What is the goal? Do all of our answers align?
- Creating Communities of Respect
- Effective Teacher Evaluation
- The push to privatize education, and the lack of honesty around the push
- Biased reporting
- Equity in Access to Education & ‘Soft bigotry’
Although I am a non-educator, I’m ooking forward to reading your coverage of the topics “Meaningful Reporting Systems” and “Creating Communities of Respect”!
Alicia, I love this. These are all things that I think about as well. My consuming thought right now is starting the year off right by somehow communicating to beginning teachers that being an effective teacher means constant learning and change.